Kimberly's thoughts

The very strong thoughts of a highly opinionated 30-something woman.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Reality Setting In...

I do not think I can watch very much more television. I am so deeply saddened by the devastation of the hurricane. I really believe that we could have, and should have, prepared more for this disaster. Why did nobody think to try and bus the poor residents out of the towns such as NO and Biloxi. I realize that the expectation to hit MS was not there, but, at least they could have summoned buses from nearby to start busing the NO poor people out. Instead, many of them are now stranded, and probably will suffer a larger percentage of the overall deaths. I guess nobody cares about poor folks, especially poor black folks, eh? That would be the message I see, and I am sure the residents do as well.

I am so grateful to have been spared any harm from this storm, and gives me more motivation to move out of this hell hole they call the south. Southern hospitality? What a joke! I recall the Blizzard of '78 back in Toledo Ohio. We had only been in our home for a few weeks, didn't know anybody, but that didn't stop the residents from helping each other out. There was no looting of closed business, there were no killings, that I recall.

Of course, we cannot have too much pity for the looters. Sure enough, those who were breaking in to stores to get food and water, go for it, but what in the hell do they propose to do with televisions, jewelry, and other stuff. And to loot a hospital? Take over a truck delivering desperately needed medical supplies? Let's not take pity too soon. It may very well be that those doing these crimes are the low-life of society. Pity those who are now going without because of these idiots.

Meanwhile, back on the homefront, there is apparently some discussion about boycotting gas stations today. Seems silly to do since most everyone took the gas stations to a trickle YESTERDAY. But hey, what do I know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home